Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Divine Visitors

One of dozens of monarch butterflies landing on the white flowered butterfly bush.


Butterflies are just breathtaking.  They are one of those delightful creations that take my breath away.  They always have and I dare say that they always will. Butterflies bring a sense of wonder and awe with them.

They have actually come to mean much more to me than just something beautiful.  They have become my primary symbols of faith and renewal.  Monarchs, because of their vivid beauty and their royal moniker, represent the transformational quality that faith provides as well as the very presence of God. 

We released monarchs at the graveside services for both of my parent's funerals and other times of celebration as well.   Their beauty speaks to me in a deep and meaningful way that truly fills me with spiritual abundance.

Today, I kept seeing monarch butterflies flitting by my picture window.  Deciding to investigate further, I walked out the backdoor and was shocked by what I saw outside.  I smelled the butterfly bush before I saw it.  The sweetness attracted me, bees, butterflies and a hummingbird.  There were 20-30 butterflies hovering on, around and above the bush.  Mesmerized begins to described the sense of wonder that enfolded me.

As a preacher by trade, my mind went directly to the story of Moses as he meets the presence of God in the visage of a burning bush.  This is truly how Moses much have felt on that occasion.  I was in the presence of something sacred.  Right outside my backdoor -- there was a sacred place.  And my sacred visitors were bestowing blessing rapidly.

I really believe that God (aka the Divine) usually works just that way -- bringing the sacred right to our backdoor welcome mat and readily making blessings as accessible as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment