Sunday, September 17, 2017

Free Little Library




We had our grand opening of the "Marilyn Y. Knight Memorial Free Little Library" midsummer.  It has been such a rewarding experience to see our small establishment used so much that we've had to restock several times.  The tourist traffic of those enjoying fun in  the sun at the top of Michigan's Thumb, seem to take our road as a convenient thoroughfare.  We've had notes, painted rocks, lots of donated books and good wishes from members of the surrounding community.  I just love the responsibility of having this nook at the end of my driveway.

My mom, loved to do little things and sometimes grand things for people -- some she knew, some she'd never seen before and would never see again.  If she took her car in for any sort of service -- she took donuts and cider.  If she got the hankering, she'd buy dinner for a stranger without them knowing she had paid the bill.  It is so much fun doing things for others. 

The house is far enough off the road, that I never see who has stopped at the library.  I don't know who has been thankful for what we've offered them.  The children's books go very fast, so I am especially happy to know that children are getting their little hands on the written word.

I established the library in Mom's memory because I thought she'd delight in the idea that people were having wonderful adventures with books and enriching life, one page at a time.  Mom and I shared a love of books, and stories.  Of course, she's the one who started me on that journey.  It's one little magical pocket of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment