Friday, September 8, 2017

Milk and Eggs

My version of "Cowboy Quiche"
"I can't get no-o sat-is-fac-tion . . . " go the lyrics to one of those songs that gets stuck in your head.  Satisfaction is one of those things we all need, strive for, want, hope for -- for a lifetime.

When I made quiche for dinner, using my favorite recipe from The Pioneer Woman (cowboy quiche recipe), I felt a truly significant sense of satisfaction.

The directions call for eight eggs.  We get about two eggs a day from our Buff Orpingtons, Clove and Cinnamon.  It took four days worth of eggs to make our dinner.  It took the girls several days longer to create each of those little bundles of nutrition.

Petunia, my Nubian dairy goat provided the rich and wholesome milk.  She's milked every evening providing us with an abundance of dairy for our daily needs. It took several years to fulfill my dream of having a goat to milk and to use that milk.

It is incredible satisfying to have a hand in gathering the ingredients for our dinner.  I know where it came from. I know how well the animals are treated and even spoiled. I'm proud of my determination to live in this manner.

Being fully cognizant of the long term process of obtaining my milk and eggs, I have a greater appreciation for my food.  The quiche was delicious and it's easy to hurriedly eat without really tasting, and in my case, eat too much food as if I'm on autopilot.  But with the goods that come from Petunia, Clove and Cinnamon -- I'm a bit more protective.  I don't want to waste those resources.  Generations before us always did that.  They didn't eat just to eat because there wouldn't be enough.  They were aware of how much work went into their food --both on the part of the animal, the plants and the people -- mostly because they had worked right along in the process of bringing the food to the table.

There is a wonderful sense of satisfaction in participating in my own nutrition.


No comments:

Post a Comment