Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Embracing the Gift of Imperfection

Three hens live at our house -- Cinnamon, Clove and Pepper. The first two are friendly Buff Orpingtons and the latter is a Black Maran. The buff lay the lighter brown eggs and the Maran lays what is know as chocolate eggs. Who wouldn't want a chicken that lays chocolate eggs? Now if I just had a goose that laid golden eggs, I'd be all set. Disclaimer: the shell is chocolate colored, no actual chocolate was used in the making of this egg.
 
That sad little smaller than a ping pong ball egg was Pepper's best effort. She hasn't given me another egg since then. I'm hopeful she'll lay many more and perhaps more in line of the size that the other to girls offer.
 
When my husband handed me that wee egg, I immediately felt for Pepper. I've had plenty of days when I've given everything I had but all I'd had to show for my work was something tiny and feeble. I walked over to where Pepper was nesting and patted her back. "Thank you," I told her with sincere empathy. "I appreciate your egg today." I was very careful not to make fun of her or tell her there was anything wrong with her egg.
 
I was tender with her as I would want someone to be tender with my efforts at creativity. Often, I will refrain from creating anything, because I am afraid that my results will be less than stellar, that my efforts will be puny and even comical.
 
Well, sometimes my creations are puny and comical. I've made, cooked, and written things that went right into the trash. I once spent days weaving and crocheting a blanket that turned out to be extremely out of shape and just squeehawed. But I kept it. I have it neatly folded and stored away because I learned so much in making it. "It could have been beautiful," I thought, if I'd known more. But now I see the potential behind the puny effort.
 
It's taken me a long time to boldly go and make terrible things. It's part of making excellent creations. Of course, I've had to come to terms with the concept that when I'm learning, I have to plan on making something twice. Make, tear out, repeat. Or sometimes -- make, laugh, toss and recreate.
 
I'm going to go off and making some things today. I will remind myself that I embrace the gift of imperfection. Perhaps I'll make something really grand, maybe not. And as I allow myself that adventure, I want to pass it on to those I encounter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment