Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Tales of Simple Kindness

There's 14 of them all together--
  • Ava in Missouri
  • Kathleen in Virginia
  • Jami in Texas
  • Neen in Tenessee
  • Marlene lives in Iowa but winters in Florida
  • Bessie hales from Kentucky
  • Audrey calls Georgia home
  • So does Tina
  • Sandi is from West Virginia
  • Billie lives in Nevada
  • Nancy is in Montana
  • Maggie in New York
  • Shirley lives in Indiana
  • Angela in Mississippi
Once a month for several years I write to each of my pen pals. Most of them send me a letter just as often.  It has been quite an adventure as I've gotten to know each of them over the years. Some open up and share their stories easily and others are more guarded.  We've been through birthdays, crises of children, aging, loss of husbands, parents and friends, vacations, dreams and frustrations.

These are powerful relationships, but I've only met two of those ladies in person.
Me, Allie and Tina meeting in Georgia for the first time.




Just over a year ago, my husband, Dave and I drove down to Georgia to pick up a goat (people do that). We planned our trip so that I could meet with Tina, one of my pen pals I've gotten to know quite well. Because of our closeness, she'd shared her love and joy for her grandchildren. As a result, I fell in love with Allie, and we talk, write and text, too.
The end of March,  I decided to attend a conference in Texas. I immediately wrote to my Texas pen pal, told her where and when I'd be in the state.  Hours after she received my letter, she called to tell me she had her room reservations and we would be able to meet. I was more excited to meet her and give her a huge hug than I was to go to my conference.

With both ladies, we had never met before, but we weren't strangers.

One of my pen pals, writes almost the same letter every time. At one point I was thinking I would stop writing to her as I thought maybe she was just bored with the relationship. But then she wrote and told me how I was like a sister to her and that our friendship meant a great deal to her. My heart melted.

My pen pals friendships are extremely important to me. They are truly an integral part of my life, I love them and I count on them caring for me.

I'm continually surprised at how grateful each of them are for the simple act of taking pen to paper and writing. I delight in finding little gifts to tuck into my monthly mailings, creating the Christmas gift they will each get, and choosing photographs of my life to share with them. There's lots of silliness involved as well.  One time I sent each one, a box of Junior Mints with a label on it that read, "we were mint to be pen pals."

With each letter, I hope I make as much of a difference in their lives as they do in mine.

The greatest lessons I've learned collectively from having 14 pen pals is that even the smallest act of kindness offered with a full heart, can mean something powerful to both the giver and the recipient. Please read that again. Simple acts of kindness can change your world.



No comments:

Post a Comment