Friday, July 26, 2019


People are constantly stopping by the little library that sits at the end of our driveway. I've done everything I can think of to make the tiny building look warm and inviting. Numerous times each week people stop by and take a book or two, sometimes they leave one in return, occasionally a box of books will appear, and once in a while a kind soul leaves a note of appreciation. We live in a town that caters to those on vacation, coming to enjoy Lake Huron. Our road is a commonly traveled route between the two main roads to get to the very top of Michigan's Thumb. Lots of tourists make use of the colorings books, colored pencils, or bubbles we stock.

I take my responsibility seriously to keep my little library in good order. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many people stop by in a year's time? I have no idea, but I know I'm having to restock a significant amount of books each week during the summer. Therefore, I am confident that it's presence makes a difference.

That's something we all want, isn't it? One of our basic needs by virtue of being human beings, is to make a difference, to matter, to know that we have touched a life, made someone happy, delighted a child. We don't have to do big grand gestures to be valuable, but we do have to DO SOMETHING.

I don't believe we have just one purpose, but many that change, evolve and grow in different ways as we change, evolve and grow.

Don't ever stop look for your purposes. Don't ever stop believe that you are important enough to do meaningful work.

And . . . don't stop reading and coloring and blowing bubbles along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment