Wednesday, August 21, 2019

One of My Treasures

I have a lot of stuff. I enjoy collecting quite a few different things--cheap and tacky snowglobes, goats, schnauzers, turtles, hens on a nest dishes,  mini buddhas, etc. I am unapologetic that I like to have a home crowded with lots of things -- in addition to plants and pets. It somehow makes me feel safe and cozy in this sanctuary I call home. Most of the things that I truly treasure wouldn't be valuable to other people, but they give me great joy. The items on my list of treasures were owned by people I love or created by those same people. 

In a sense, I am at home among these items, because they help define who I am, remind me that I am loved and bring me joy as memories are brought forth. I love being surrounded by and sharing my daily life with all this good stuff.

My paternal grandmother was the first person to love me without reserve. Her love was lavish and all encompassing. My parents were quite reserved in demonstrating their love and praise was extremely limited for fear of raising an egotistical daughter. Of course I gravitated to my grandmother. She's been gone since 1980 but the foundational love she provided is solidly part of my foundation of self esteem.

My grandma, or Gummie as I called her -- or Helen Knight, enjoyed her jewelry. That's something else she passed on to me! I picture her in her rings, and my favorite earring of hers -- lime green triangles, a charm bracelet and often -- a beautiful cameo.
I hadn't seen that cameo in years, but wanted to get a closer look in order to maybe find one similar for sale.  My estimation of elegance stems from that cameo. I asked my two cousins about it. In an act of wonderful selflessness, they gifted me with Gummie's cameo.  I felt like I'd won the lottery.

Because of the importance of the pin in my life, I've only worn it once. I wore it last Christmas Eve to church. Maybe it was also because both of my children were home with me to celebrate the holiday, but wearing that cameo allowed me to feel so connected to both the past, the present and the future of my family.
Arden on the left, Nicholas on the right and me in the middle wearing my treasured cameo.

No comments:

Post a Comment