Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Rewarding Work

My list for the next several days is longer than I could possibly accomplish. It's probably longer than several people could accomplish in several weeks.  But by golly, I'm going to have a go at it. In a week I head to the Michigan Fiber Festival in Allegan, Michigan. Just me and two vehicles and three people. One of those vehicles is pulling my camper and holding five pygora goats in the back. The other vehicle (my mini Cooper) is taking two people, a dog, and a smelly pygora buck. Inside that camper is all that I need to wear and eat for almost a week, all the supplies I need to care for and show six goats. I'm also taking what I need to care for, entertain and train my Cardigan Corgi, Sundae. I'm taking classes, as a result I'm taking my spinning wheel and other accessories. And I can't leave home without my craft projects in progress, a months supply of Dr. Pepper,  several cozy mysteries to read before bed and my ukulele.

And that doesn't even go into what needs to be done to prepare the goats to show them.  Everyone needs a bath--preceded and followed by a ridiculous amount of grooming. Hooves need to be in good shape so four times six = 24 hooves, each with two toes=48 toes to trim.
 Like I said, it is a whole lot of work. But this is something that we work on all year long. We look to be responsible breeders who seek only to make the breed better. The shows are a chance to "show" our work and pride in that work. It is extremely rewarding.
We are The Best of Times Farm and our herd is name is: The Price Bouquet. All our goats have flower names (except Rooster Cogburn). With my wickedly sharp sense of humor, I like to tell people that we have a bouquet of goats instead of a herd.
 
It's time to get back to all that work. It just feels go to work this hard and be able to gather with others who do the same. It's rewarding to show them off and be proud of them and our work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment