Friday, August 9, 2019

The Joy of Simple Pleasures


It's the simplest things that make me smile, that make me feel that life is good, that give me absolute joy.

It's watching the sun rise or set . . .
It's the melting into  my husbands arms after a long day . . .
It's hearing a happy chicken softly chirp . . .
It's the way my dogs welcome me home . . .
It's the sound of milk spurting in the pail as I milk my goat . . .
It's the feel of the wind across my face . . .
It's the smell of the petunias in my yard . . .
It's the delight when a letter comes in the mail . . . .
It's the taste of corn on the cob with butter running down my chin . . .
It's the sound of children giggling . . .
It's the presence of my children . . .
It's the wildflowers and weeds gracing the meadow . . .
It's making a snowman or playing in the leaves. . .
It's a hot cup of coffee with just the right amount of cream and sugar . . .
It's the sharing of stories around a bonfire . . .
It's baking cookies that have been baked for generations of my family . . .



I think I could go on with this list for hours. There are so many things that give me such pure happiness -- and they are little everything things.  None of the things I've listed are from grand gestures and magnanimous events -- just the simple mundanities of life. 

Isn't it good to know that such happiness comes from such humble beginnings? It means that it doesn't have to take a while lot of effort to experience that happiness and joy.  Perhaps it could be said that happiness can be within everyone's grasp if we just reach out.

I'm going to continue not just making my list, but living it continuously. My goal is to experience each day, paying attention to those little things, those simple pleasure and not take for granted the joy that they bring. If we don't pay attention, we miss it.  I don't want to miss anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment